Ride safe so you can ride again!
Whether it is a bright sunny day or a cloudy one, there is nothing that could beat the joy of riding a motorbike along with your kids. But wait! Before you pull out your bike out of the garage, let’s find out how to use them safely.
Why Is Motorbike Safety So Important for your kids?
Motorcycling can be a lot of fun, but accidents do take place. Annually, about three hundred thousand children are injured and admitted to the emergency because of these injuries, and at least ten thousand children have injuries that require a few days in the hospital. This analysis suggests that kids should bike; wearing all the protective guards, but the one which is the most essential is a – bike helmet. Because, of all the fatal injuries – the ones responsible for most damage are usually head injuries.
A head injury can cause a concussion which could lead to brain hemorrhage. That’s why it’s so important to wear your bike helmet. Wearing a helmet doesn’t mean you can drive recklessly, but a helmet will provide some protection for your face, head, and brain in case you happen to fall down or smash your head against the road or something hard.
Why It Is Of Utmost Importance For Kids To Wear Helmets
An accident can happen at any moment during even the shortest and slowest rides. A motorcycle is very vulnerable in terms of safety as the body is completely exposed and offers little protection to kids when they have accidents. Even a slow speed motorcycle accident could result major injuries. A child’s skull and body is not yet completely developed and designed to take such harsh blows, holistically speaking, they are very fragile and need to be handled with care.
So, it is always a bit of hassle for parents to get their children to wear helmets as they don’t want to end up looking dorky. But the bottom line is that you need to ensure your child is protected and that they wear all their safety gear.
How to Choose a Helmet for your kids?
To find the best helmet you should;
Firstly take measurements of your child’s head. Make sure your helmet fits your child properly, not too big not too small. If you are not sure about the fitting standards its best advisable to ask the personnel at the store or read further for a few quick guidelines.
Inquire about the safety features and approvals of the helmet.
Always buy the helmet with the best safety features. Remember to look for two important features whenever you are purchasing a helmet.
- The best helmets are made of a durable, lightweight outer layer that will offer superior protection during accidents.
- It should also be lined with shock absorbing cushioning to protect your child’s brain from a bad hit.
An important advice – Never wear a cap under your bike helmet.
Wear your helmet right
Once you have selected the right helmet, you need to wear it the right way for maximum protection. It should always be worn in level with your eyebrows and cover your forehead. Don’t tip it back so that your forehead becomes exposed.
The straps should always be fastened. If the straps are flying, it’s likely to fall off your head when you need it most. Make sure the straps are adjusted so they’re snug enough that you don’t need to pull or twist the helmet around on your head.
Taking care of your bike helmet is also very important. If you keep throwing it around carelessly it will fail you in the hour of need. Also, if you do fall down and put your helmet to the test, be sure to get a new one. They don’t work as well after a major crash.
Another important point to keep in mind is that, helmets have an expiry date, because the plastic becomes brittle over a period of time and tends to crack. So always keep an eye for the manufacturing and expiry dates.
Be Seen, Be Safe!
It is always wise to choose bright color helmets. You can put reflectors on your helmets so others can see you from a distance. It is equally important for other people on the road to see you, because than they are less likely to run into you.
Most of the bike helmets todayare available in cool colors and are quite light weighted. If you don’t like yours as it is, give it a personal touch with some of your favorite stickers. Reflective stickers are a great choice because they look cool and make you more visible to people driving cars.
Avoid wearing earphones because the music can distract you from noises around you, such as a car honking so you can get out of the way. Instead use good quality Bluetooth helmets as they are designed to serve both – the safety (as you can listen to outside noise) and the pleasure (as you can listen to music and communicate).
Two quick tips
- Daytime riding is the safest so minimize riding your bike at dusk and later.
- Wear a bright shirt or trouser, with bright helmets.
Finally, Find a Helmet that your Child will Love.
A lot of amazing kids’ motorcycle helmets are available in the market. There are a variety of shapes and designs to choose from and surely your child will find one which looks fantastic. It is important to consider your child’s personal preference while choosing a helmet or he might end up refusing to wear it.
Here are a few good suggestions which I have looked up accordingly, keeping in mind all the aspects for selecting a good Kid’s Helmet.
1) Smart Deals Now YOUTH DOT Helmet Dirt Bike Style Youth Model (Small)
Available in Youth Small Size – 19.2″- 19.7″
Product Dimensions – 13 x 10 x 10 inches;
Weight – 2 pounds
Color – Red
- The helmet is extremely light weight,
- The best thing about it is its durability; it is made of a composite shell,
- The Beautiful Gloss UV protective finish makes it more attractive,
- Has a very comfortable interior, because it is heavily cushioned,
Overall Review – It is a very well vented all-purpose product for off-road riding. It is a good deal and worth the price.Have a closer look here.
2) STORM MOTORCYCLE FULL FACE HELMET WITH GLOSSY BLACK BOOSTER.
The helmet is available in all sizes including kids’ size.
It is available in a variety of colors.
- The helmet is Ultra light in weight,
- It comes with a durable aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell that adds to the speed of the rider and also enhances the stunning looks,
- The impact bearing in this helmet is very high which is a must have safety feature,
- It accommodates Level top ventilation control and 5-position ventilation channel for extra comfort,
- Heavily cushioned and comfortable interior, which is removable and washable,
- It has an Aerodynamic rear Venturi-effect exhaust spoiler; which is DOT Approved so you need not worry at all.
- Beautiful glossy UV protective finish.
There are no drawbacks and negative points for this product as I see it.
A plus point is the impressive reflective visor which adds to the charisma of the helmet.Here is the link if you are interested in buying one for yourself.
3) LS2 Helmets Fast Mini Race Youth Off-Road MX Motorcycle Helmet (Medium)
Size – Youth medium, small and large
Weight – 2.75 pounds.
Package Dimensions – 14.7 x 11.3 x 11 inches.
It is available in a variety of colors.
- The shell of the helmet is made from LS2’s proprietary, super light and energy dispersing Kinetic Polymer Alloy (KPA),
- Has removable washable padding,
- The eye port is very wide and if you are wearing goggles, this will easily accommodate them,
- The helmet is DOT certified and is accepted by almost every racing sanctioning body in the U.S,
- An added feature is a reinforced Double-D chin strap which guarantees a safe secure fit.
Here are a few more technical details for your reference.
Though this helmet is a bit heavy on the pocket, buying it will last you a life time and you won’t regret it. It has accommodated all the safety features as well as style features.Here is the link to go check prices and ratings.
4) Razor Child Full Face Helmet
This helmet is my personal favorite. It is the most protective head gear that you can get in the market. If you are going for this helmet, choose the lucid red one, because of its stunning looks.
Product Dimensions – 16 x 8.5 x 10 inches
Weight – 1.2 pounds
Colors – Black, Red and Blue
The helmet is less than 0.25 kg.
- A very light weight helmet, which will protect your kids, from top of the head to its most bottom,
- The visor is made of thick plastic, which is very hard,
- Like the LS2 helmet, this also comes with wide eye port,
- Additional feature is its vented mouth protection, which enables comfortable breathing and makes you audible,
Helmets don’t get better than this. You will have heads turning around the city once you don this beauty. Secondly it is a tough and durable helmet, so you don’t need to change helmets frequently with this one.
The downside I see is that the face guard is not removable and comes as one piece, but with mouth vents it is not much of a problem.
If you are thinking of getting the best protective head gear for your kid, this is the product for you.Here is the link for the same.
5) Bell Shield Child Helmet
This is the one for first timers. It’s light on the pocket while maintaining the best of the quality.
I have bought this one as a gift for a kid and she really appreciated it as is one of the few Helmets available in girly pink and purple colors.
Product dimensions – 13 x 9.5 x 7 inches
Weight – 1.2 pounds
Color – Purple and White
- Hard shell, which has dual certification,
- Has a chin bar that surrounds the face for additional protection,
- Cheek pads are also made available,
- side-squeeze buckle makes easy to make adjustments,
- has 8 hexagon covered vents so that air can properly circulate,
Of all the helmets discussed above, you can choose whichever seems best and suitable.You will see quite a many of these on the roads as they are very popular around the USA.